I know that I'm taking on risk here. Not a small risk, but an eternal one. But for the greater good, I'm rooting for the Yankees this series. (So far so good! Up 1-0!)
Here's how it works. I can't just root for them in the same way I can decide to root for the Twins or White Sox. The Yankees are evil, so I can't root directly for them. Instead, I am rooting to win a bet. Certain depraved Tigers fans have placed a wager in my name on the Yankees to win the series. If the Yanks win, I win. If they lose, I don't lose anything. So now, I'm rooting to win a bet.
You can make an argument that I am indeed selling my soul. But I will argue that I am rooting for a profitable outcome of a sports bet, knowing full well that I am equally cursed in that regard as well (anecdotal proof of my unlucky betting streaks are available upon request). Will this crafty construction serve both goals -- jinx the Yanks, and preserve my eternal soul? Eh, probably not. I'm going to hell.
Go Yanks!
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I think full disclosure cancels out any jinx effect you might have hoped to induce. So in reality, the Yanks get another person rooting for them for whatever reason...with no "jinx" strings attached. Hopefully you'll finally get a taste of a championship.
Heh. You wish. If only my curse could be rationalized like this. There is no "full disclosure" exception to this thing. It is broad, sweeping, and destructive. Kinda like the Yankees lineup! Go Yanks!
Just so you become fully acclimated to being a true Yankee fan there's one action I'm sure you'll find peace with...
Jeering Mr Unclutch. Yup, see even before you became a Yankees fan you were already showing the signs. So go on and continue jeering A-Rod. Yanks fans do it too.
See, this is something that only really became apparent when he got to New York. In Seattle, A-Rod had no reputation for being unclutch. He was a very good player when he was a Mariner, including the 2000 postseason (and ALCS against the Yankees). We boo him for being a greedy bastard, not for anything he does (or doesn't do) on the field.
And he was no Jamie Moyer -- when I was an intern, he was very easy to approach after games. He had no problem giving a scrub like me a one-on-one interview.
Bases loaded. A-Rod up...
Strikeout.
First Stanford, now this.
In the world of jinxes, pointing them out definitely screws things up.
Just look at the fabled "no-hitter jinx". "He's got a no-hitter through 8 and 1/3...oh, there's a hot shot up the middle."
Anyway, at the very least, should be an interesting series...that I won't be able to watch. =(
depraved?
amazing. your powers are great indeed.
Post a Comment